Discrimination of Handicapped Persons at the restaurant: 410 Bank Street Cape May, NJ. Manager refused to allow me to use the handicap ramp. I was forced to get out of wheelchair with oxygen tank or no service.

I have leukemia and underwent a bone marrow transplant. As a result of high dose chemo therapy and radiation, I now have lung issues. I am forced to use a wheelchair and oxygen to survive and attempt to live somewhat "normal" life. I can assure you that living this way is not my first choice.

I made a reservation for 7:15 pm on May 14, 2009 at the restaurant "410 Bank Street" located in Cape May, New Jersey. The restaurant was advertised as Handicapped Accessible. Upon arrival I had a problem with the manager Dortothy Garrabrant. While I waited outside, my wife informed Dorothy that I would need to use a ramp for my power chair. She immediately became enraged and quite loudly declared "NO! He can't come in. If it was a manual wheelchair I would say okay but not a power chair" Aside from my extreme embarrassment by her behavior I was quite disappointed in her total disregard for a disabled person. Clearly there was a handicap ramp but Dorothy felt it was her personal discretion if someone was "worthy" of using it. The Americans with Disability Act, Title III: Public Accommodations; would disagree with Dorothy's self declared authority over such matters. The State of New Jersey has declared me disabled and I live on a modest Disability check. The NJ Motor Vehicle Commission has declared me disabled and provided me with a "Disabled Placard" when traveling by car. Medicare has declared me disabled and provided a motorized wheelchair. But Dorothy Garrabrant in her infinite wisdom has decided I should just get up and walk to avoid her from being inconvenienced by having a wheel chair in the restaurant dining area.

I asked my wife to pull me out of the chair. I leaned on my wife, with oxygen tank in tow and slowly struggled as I made my way to be seated. I finally sat down gasping for breath and took some time to recover from the ordeal. Now suffering from both physical and mental anguish, I tried to enjoy the rest of the evening.

For my trouble, Dorothy offered to give me a free desert. I find it insulting that Dorothy would believe a piece of cake could resolve a Civil Rights Violation.

Had an Experience with 410 Bank Street?

Comments

What are you looking for a free meal?The other people that go to these resturants have rights too.

Should they turn the place upside down for you?Find another resturant that better suits your needs.

Novelda, Valencia, Spain #66704

i can honestly say that reading this almost brought tears to my eyes.her behavior was disgusting.

my mother is disabled and, although not in a wheelchair, she still can't get around as easily as others. she also gets some nasty attitudes from people as well.

I hope you are doing more about this awful woman besides posting it on this website.it's not enough!!!

good luck!